Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tromsø, Norway

March 23, 2010
Scattered clouds, around -2C

This city is adorable and expensive. The streets are lined with perfect Scandinavian houses, two huge mountains loom in the distance with perfect ski slopes, and the streets are blanketed in perfect white snow. The kroner ratio is about 5.7 NK to 1 USD, and at the airport a sandwich cost from 60-70 kroner at the low end. The food, based on the simple sandwiches we put together from the grocery store this evening, seems to be quite delicious: if you’re paying eight dollars for a loaf of bread, it’s going to be tasty.
Our hotel is also adorable, but it’s tiny. I feel like eight days of living with three other girls in a relatively small room and being crammed together is really starting to get to me. Everywhere I turn I’m bumping into someone, and I haven’t slept out of arm’s reach of another person any time in recent memory. Tonight will be no different when I settle down with Liz in full-sized bed made from two miniscule twin beds pushed together and covered in a larger mattress.
Going home is going to be so strange. I won’t know what to do with all the privacy and autonomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment